05 Feb 2010

Practical solutions for efficient water management

Landscape, Maintenance, Water Efficiency 6 Comments

Problem

• Misting, fogging

Potential Causes

• High water pressure

Solution

• Pressure regulating devices maintain the optimal water pressure to sprinklers, which will minimize misting and fogging. This can result in over 50% water savings.

Problem

• Water runoff and erosion

Potential Causes

• Slopes, Clay soil, Over-spray, Too much water applied too quickly

Solution

• Controllers with multiple start times or Cycle + Soak – enable you to water in multiple, yet shorter cycles to allow for better absorption.
  • High efficiency nozzles with matched precipitation rates provide better distribution of water and can reduce usage by up to 30%.
  • Low-volume drip irrigation applies water slowly and more directly to plants’ roots.
  • Check valves prevent drainage at lower elevations, which eliminates flooding and erosion.

Problem

• Over-watering due to weather changes

Potential Causes

• Controllers are rarely adjusted to accommodate for weather changes

Solution

• Automatic shut-off devices temporarily suspend irrigation when sufficient moisture is detected or if it is raining, resulting in 15-20% water savings.
  • Many irrigation controllers contain features that enable users to easily make changes to their systems (to accommodate for weather changes) without disrupting predetermined settings.

Problem

• Over-watering due to different types of plants

Potential Causes

• Different plants have different watering needs

Solution

• Plant your garden in zones and use a controller with multiple independent programs. This will provide you with the flexibility to adjust your watering schedule per the needs of each zone.

Image provided by seantoyer.

6 Responses to “Practical solutions for efficient water management”

1. Hugh Traub says:

Thanks a ton for stating your opinions. Being a writer, I am always in need of unique and different solutions to think about a topic. I actually uncover fantastic creativity in doing this. Many thanks.

2. David Webb says:

Really neat blog.Thanks Again. Hanker after more.

3. Alane says:

What i don’t understood is actually how you’re not really much more well-liked than you may be now. You’re very intelligent. You realize thus significantly relating to this subject, produced me personally consider it from so many varied angles. Its like women and men aren’t fascinated unless it is one thing to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs outstanding. Always maintain it up!

4. BMihaelll says:

I’ve been browsing on-line greater than three hours nowadays, yet I never found any fascinating article like yours. It is pretty price sufficient for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did, the web shall be much more helpful than ever before.

5. Alize says:

I think this is among the most vital information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The site style is perfect, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

6. Hermes Kelly says:

What you are declaring is completely legitimate. Hey I’m sure that everyone need to say a similar issue, but I just believe that you simply place it in a very way that everybody can realize. Hey I also really like the photographs you place in right here. They fit so effectively with what youre making an attempt to say.